JOHN LI, M.D.
OTOLOGY NEUROTOLOGY RESOURCES
210 Jupiter Lakes Blvd #5105
Jupiter, FL 33458
John Li, MD
Board Certified — Otolaryngology
A graduate of Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, Dr. Li completed his internship at Pennsylvania Hospital and his residency in Otolaryngology at Loyola University Medical Center and Hines Veterans Administration Hospital. Dedicated experience in ear surgery was obtained at the Alaskan Native Medical Center in Anchorage Alaska, where chronic ear disease is prevalent among the Eskimos. Dr. Li also participated in the Visiting Doctors Program at the internationally renowned House Ear Institute in Los Angeles California. After graduation, he spent time visiting with, and learning from many prominent Neurotologists. Dr. Li was recruited in 1983 to the South Florida Area to replace a retiring Otologist.
Dr. Li is quite active in the academic side of otology and neurotology. He has authored or coauthored several chapters in ENT textbooks and over 10 manuscripts in the medical literature. He is also a Medical Illustrator. (see some of his illustrations). Dr. Li, along with Dr. John Epley (the father of the Canalith Repositioning Procedure), both instructed (until Dr. Epley's retirement) the Canalith Repositioning Procedure course at the yearly American Academy Of Otolaryngology meetings. He was also an instructor at the dizziness and balance course sponsored by the American Neurotologic Society, and an instructor at the International Center of Otologic Surgery, a temporal bone dissection course based in Savannah Georgia. He has been invited to teach at many ear surgery and vertigo courses throughout the country as well as internationally.
Dr. Li loves gadgets and inventions. In order to treat certain types of vertigo, he built the multiaxial positioning device which facilitates the Canalith Repositioning Procedure. He participated in think tank sessions for the development of the “Round Window micro-catheter” for the delivery of inner ear medication. Along with the Anspach Corp. Dr. Li codeveloped a surgical drill that is used for ear surgery. This drill, named Micromax, started as a concept in 1995. It is now used by many of the major hospitals in the country. Dr. Li holds a patent for a balance forceplate that is used for Vestibular Rehabilitation.
Speaking of technology. . . The latest endeavor has been the incorporation of the Envoy Esteem totally implantable hearing device to the practice. In 2010, Dr. Li was selected to be one of 10 US sites to perform this technically difficult procedure. The results have been wonderful. Patients have commented on the dramatic improvement over conventional hearing aids. There is nothing to put in or take out. The device is completely implanted. Implant recipients are able to swim, exercise and bathe without having to worry about getting their hearing aids wet. The sound is much more natural since it utilizes the patient's own eardrum, rather than a mechanical microphone. The batteries last seven years on the average -- and require a minor procedure to change them.
Curriculum Vitae JOHN C. LI, M.D.
Fellow of the American Board of Otolaryngology, Fellow American College of Surgeons.
210 Jupiter Lakes Blvd. #5105 Jupiter FL, 33458
Phone: (561) 748-4445 / Fax: (561) 748-4449
Otology Web Site: http://Dr-Li.net
Co-developer, Consultant – High Speed Otologic Surgical Drill “MicroMax”– Anspach Companies, (now a Synthes / J&J company) Palm Beach Gardens, Florida.
|Envoy Esteem Totally Implantable Hearing Device Surgeon.|
Medical Illustrator (for publications for the Loyola University Medical Center, House Ear Institute, Jefferson Medical College, Wills Eye Hosp. and various textbooks and publications)
Consultant to Intra-Ear micro catheter company. Brochure illustration.
Editor for E-Medicine and Author On-line Textbook series.
Reviewer for Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery articles
Moderator Neurotology On-line Forum
Pilot: Single Engine Land
INCAF Certified Parenting Instructor- “Redirecting Children’s Behavior”
American Academy of Otolaryngology
Education and Training:
Post-Residency: Visiting Doctor Program Otologic Surgery & Research /House Ear Institute - Los Angeles, CA
Residency: Specialty: Otolaryngology - Loyola University Medical Center- 2160 South 1st Avenue, Maywood, IL / Hines Veterans Administration Hospital / Alaskan Native Medical Center- Otologic Surgery / Children’s Memorial Hospital in Chicago- Pediatrics
Internship: Specialty: General Surgery Pennsylvania Hospital – 8th and Spruce, Philadelphia, PA 19102
Medical Education: Medical Degree: Jefferson Medical College - 201 S. 11th Street ·Philadelphia, PA 19107
Undergraduate Education: Bachelor of Science - with Distinction: Pennsylvania State University - State College PA
Honors and Awards
The Nicholas Torok Vestibular Award – Presented by the American Neurotology Society for innovative vestibular research with Research Honorarium for the 360 degree BPPV maneuver
American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery’s Honor Award in recognition of outstanding service through the presentation of instructional courses, scientific papers & continuing education.
Appointed Chief of Dept. of Otolaryngology, Palm Beach Gardens Medical Center
Inducted as Fellow to the American College of Surgeons
“Top Docs in South Florida” South Florida Magazine, Multiple years
Elected – Chairman of Garden’s Surgery Center Governing Board
Inducted to American Neurotologic Society, Balance Subcommittee
First Place Presidential Award - Poster Presentation American Academy of Otolaryngology, Fall Meeting, San Diego, CA
Jefferson Medical College
Dean's Commendation for work in Admissions committee
Dean's Commendation in Pharmacology
Elected Representative to Jefferson Protocol committee
Top 1/3 of Medical Class
Pennsylvania State University Graduated with Distinction, Deans List all semesters
Alpha Lambda Delta (Freshman National Honor Society)
Board Certified in Otolaryngology
Fellow American Academy of Otolaryngology
National Boards Part I, II & III
Inventions / Patents / New Product Development
1. United States Patent Li # US 6,225,977 B1 Patent granted 5/1/2001: “Human Balance Driven Joystick” – A Balance measuring and training device. 19 Claims, 10 Drawing Sheets.
2. MicroMax High-speed Pneumatic Otologic Drill – Product Co-developed with the Anspach Companies, Palm Beach Gardens, FL Patents obtained by Anspach
3. Round Window Microcath – Small catheter used to apply medications to the inner ear – Illustrator and Think Tank Invitee.
4. Multiaxial Positioning Device: Prototype project done in conjunction with Dr. John Epley. Platform upon which Canalith Repositioning can be done.
5. Balance Platform: Swaymeter / Lean Machine: Product in development
6. Military Flight Simulation Equipment for the F-16, F-15, F-35, F-22 and the F/A-18
1. “Approaches to Acoustic Neuromas”, Briggs, R and John Li, M.D. illustrator, Book Chapter in 1997 Edition of the textbook Operative Otorhinolaryngology, edited by Bleach et al. Blackwell Company
2. “Approaches to Craniofacial Resection”, Briggs, R and John Li, M.D. illustrator, Book Chapter in 1997 Edition of the textbook Operative Otorhinolaryngology, edited by Bleach et al. Blackwell Company
3. "Oral Antral Fistulae" John Li, M.D. and James Stankiewicz, M.D. Book Chapter 31 in 1993 Edition of the textbook Otolaryngology edited by Gerald English, M.D. J.B. Lippincott Company, Philadelphia, PA.
1. Chapter Editor E-medicine On-line textbook of Otolaryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery http://www.emedicine.com/
2. “Benign Positional Vertigo”, John Li, M.D.; John Epley, M.D, Book Chapter in 1999 Edition of the E-medicine On-line textbook of Otolaryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery and of Neurology, http://www.emedicine.com/
3. “Meniere’s Disease, Medical Management”, John Li, M.D. Book Chapter in 1999 Edition of the E-medicine On-line textbook of Otolaryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery http://www.emedicine.com/
4. “Meniere’s Disease, Surgical Management”, John Li, M.D. Book Chapter in 1999 Edition of the E-medicine On-line textbook of Otolaryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery, http://www.emedicine.com/
5. “Otalgia”, John Li, M.D.; Thomas Ulrich, PA-C; Book Chapter in 1999 Edition of the E-medicine On-line textbook of Otolaryngology and Facial Plastic Surgery, http://www.emedicine.com/
6. “Otology Neurotology Resources”, John Li, M.D., Informational web site. http://Dr-Li.net
7. Reviewer for Journal Articles: Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery 2008 - present
Publications: Journal Articles
1. “The 360 Degree Maneuver For Treatment Of Benign Positional Vertigo. ” John Li, M.D.; John Epley, M.D; Otology & Neurotology, 2006 Jan;27(1):71-7
2. “The Cost Effectiveness Of The Canalith Repositioning Procedure. ” John Li, M.D.; Celeste Li, M.D.; Lynn Weinberg, MS, CCA.; John Epley, M.D.; Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery 2000;122:334-339.
3. “Transtympanic Steroids For Treatment Of Sudden Hearing Loss” Girard J. Gianoli, M.D.; John Li, M.D.; Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery. 2001; 125:142-6
4. “Mastoid Oscillation, a Critical Factor for Success in the Canalith Repositioning Procedure,” John Li, M.D. Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery 1995; 112:670-5
5. "Modified Retrosigmoid Approach: Use with Selected Acoustic Tumor Removal." Clough Shelton, M.D.; Sassan Alavi, M.D.; John Li, M.D.; William Hitselberger, M.D. American Journal of Otology, 1995; 16:5; 664-668
6. "Reclassification of Aggressive Adenomatous Mastoid Neoplasms as Endolymphatic Sac Tumors." John Li, M.D.; Derald Brackmann, M.D.; William Lo, M.D.; Joseph Carberry, M.D.; John House, M.D. Presented at the Triologic Society Meeting, Los Angeles, CA. April, 1993. Laryngoscope, 1993; 103 :1342-1348
7. "Endolymphatic Sac Tumors: Radiologic Appearance," William Lo, MD; Laura Applegate, MD; Joseph Carberry, MD; Livia Solti-Bohman, MD; John House, MD; Derald Brackmann, MD; Victor Waluch, Ph.D. , MD; John Li, MD. Radiology 1993; 189:199-204
8. "Neurotologic Considerations in the Treatment of Advanced Clival Tumors." John P. Leonetti, M.D.; O. Howard Reichman, M.D.; Ossama Al-Mefty, M.D.; Peter G. Smith, Ph.D; John Li, M.D. Presented at the American Academy of Otolaryngology, Kansas City, MO, July, 1991. Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery, 1992; 107:49-56.
9. "The Concept of Transtympanic Injection of Fibrin Caulk" by John Li, M.D.John P. Leonetti, M.D.; Victor Mokkary, M.D. Presented at the Middle Section of the Triologic Society, 1992. Archives of Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery, 1993 119: 854-857
10. "The Endoscopic Approach to the Lateral Accessory Sinus." John C. Li, M.D.; and James Stankiewicz, M.D. First Place President's Award - Poster Presentation at the American Academy of Otolaryngology Fall Meeting, 1990, San Diego. Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Vol. 105, No 4, 1991
11. "Dynamic Amaurosis Secondary to Compression of the Vertebral Artery: A Case Study." John C. Li, M.D.; L. Magargal, M.D.; and A. Carabasi, M.D.; Wills Eye Hospital/Thomas Jefferson University; Annals of Ophthalmology, July 1988.
12. "Otalgia Despite the Normal Appearing Ear", John Li, M.D.; Celeste Li, M.D.; John P. Leonetti, M.D. Submitted to: Otolaryngology, Head & Neck Surgery.
13. “The Canalith Repositioning Procedure A Review of 150 Patients,” John Li, M.D.; Celeste Li, M.D.; John Epley, M.D.; In Preparation.
14. “Peri-Auricular Transcutaneous Electrical Stimulation in the Treatment of Subjective Idiopathic Tinnitus. ” John Li, M.D.; Dianna Nuquist, COTA. In Preparation.
15. “Peri-Auricular Cutaneous Electrical Impedance As An Objective Measurement Of Subjective Idiopathic Tinnitus,” John Li, M.D.; Dianna Nuquist, COTA. In Preparation.
IRB Research Protocols
1. Pharmacological Study with Jupiter Medical Center IRB: Ketek vs. Augmentin Principal Investigator ~ 2004
2. Transtympanic Steroid Injection Study with Jupiter Medical Center IRB: Principal Investigator ~ 2001
3. Wicab / Brainport Tongue Stimulation for bilateral Vestibular loss Study with Jupiter Medical Center IRB ~2009
4. Envoy Esteem Implant Post FDA Approval Study: Principal Investigator ~ 2011
Presentations and Teaching Activities
International Center for Otologic Training -- “Distinguished faculty” Temporal Bone Laboratory Course at Georgia Ear Institute Savannah, Georgia, April, 2001 May, 2002 May, 2003, May, 2004, May, 2005, May, 2006, May, 2007, May, 2008.
“The 360 Degree Maneuver For Treatment Of Benign Positional Vertigo,” Presented at the Triologic Spring meeting, Boca Raton, FL May. 2005. Won Nicholas Torok Award for innovative Neurotology.
American Academy of Otolaryngology Course Instructor “The Canalith Repositioning Procedure” Yearly course given in conjunction with John Epley, MD at the American Academy of Otolaryngology Fall meetings. New Orleans, LA Sept. 1995; Washington DC, Oct. 1996; San Francisco, Sept. 1997; San Antonio, Sept. 1998; New Orleans, LA Sept. 1999; Washington DC, Oct. 2000, Denver, CO Sept. 2001, San Diego, CA Sept. 2002, Orlando FL, Sept. 2003, NY, NY Sept. 2004, LA Oct. 2005.
Miniseminar, American Academy of Otolaryngology. “Update in BPPV” given in conjunction with Mohamed Hamid, Allain Semont, John Epley, and Brian Blakley at the American Academy of Otolaryngology Fall meeting, Denver, CO Sept 9, 2001, San Diego, CA Sept. 2002
Invited Faculty for American Academy of Physician’s Assistants Annual Conference: Scottsdale AZ, 2007; Boston, MA, 2008; Atlanta GA 2010"Secrets of Canalith Repositioning in 20 Minutes” - Lecture to the Society of Otolaryngologie, Lima, Peru 6-23-2011
Kaohsiung Medical University, Chung-Ho Memorial Hospital -- Invited lecture on “The Canalith Repositioning Procedure” to faculty and Residents. December, 2001
American Academy of Osteopathic Medicine -- Invited lecturer on “Advanced Canalith Repositioning” October, 2005 Orlando, FL
Faculty at THE BALANCE COURSE: Evaluation and Testing of the Dizzy Patient -- Developed and sponsored by The American Neurotology Society September, 2000
International Visiting Professor Program – Invitational “Professor” for Symposium and Workshop on Canalith Repositioning – Full sponsorship by Dr. Erfan & Bagedo General Hospital, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. October 17-23, 1999
Invited faculty at Georgia Ear Institute Temporal Bone Laboratory Course: Savannah, Georgia, December 1998
Faculty at THE BALANCE COURSE: Evaluation and Testing of the Dizzy Patient -- Developed and sponsored by The American Neurotology Society September 23-24, 1999
Faculty at 7th Annual Interdiciplinary Seminar: Diagnostic & Rehabilitative Aspects of Dizziness and Balance Disorders. Denver, CO; Dec. 1995. Dec. 1996. Dec. 1997
Temporal Bone Dissection Course Instructor with Sean McMenomey, MD Patrick Antonelli, MD; Palm Beach Gardens, FL – Nov 13, 1999 Anspach Sponsored Course.
Temporal Bone Dissection Course Instructor with Malcolm Graham, MD Sean McMenomey, MD; Palm Beach Gardens, FL -- May 7, 1998 For Anspach Sponsored Course.
“Advances in Neurotology” Temporal Bone Dissection Course Instructor with Sean McMenomey, MD; Palm Beach Gardens, FL – Nov. 2-3, 1998
Guest Speaker, US Navy Medical Center, San Diego, CA. Lecture to Otolaryngology Residents on BPPV 7/30/97
Faculty BPPV and Vestibular Testing Workshops at 5th Annual Symposium and Workshops on Inner Ear Medicine and Surgery and the Prosper Meniere Society Annual Winter Meeting. Aspen, CO; March, 1996.
“The Cost Effectiveness Of The Canalith Repositioning Procedure. ” Presented at the American Academy of Otolaryngology Fall meeting, New Orleans, LA Sept. 1999.
“Mastoid Oscillation, a Critical Factor for Success in the Canalith Repositioning Procedure,” John Li, M.D. Presented at the Prosper Meniere Society Meeting, Snowmass, CO. July, 1994. Panelist on Positional Vertigo Discussions.
“Vestibular Rehabilitation – Concepts For Therapists” 2 day Seminar to train Occupational therapists and Physical Therapists in Vestibular Rehabilitation, dizziness and Vertigo. Palm Beach Gardens, FL
Invited Guest Speaker -- Miami Chapter of the Meniere’s Network - Dec. 1995.
Medical Staff CME Lectures : “Tracheotomy Inservice” April, 1994. “Recent Developments in the Treatment of Vertigo” March, 1994, Jupiter, FL
"The Reclassification of Adenomatous Tumors of the Temporal Bone as Endolymphatic Sac Neoplasms." John Li, M.D. ; Derald Brackmann, M.D. ; William Lo, M.D. ; Joseph Carberry, M.D. ; John House, M.D. Presented at the Triologic Society Meeting, Los Angeles, CA. April, 1993.
"Transtympanic Injection of Fibrin Glue As An Experimental Method of Sealing CSF Leakage" by John Li, M.D. Presented at the Middle Section of the Triologic Society, Cleveland, Ohio, January, 1992.
Television and Newspaper Interviews and Appearances
1. CBS News Channel 5 (National)-- Kim Crawford, M.D. Health update- Topic: Hearing Reconstruction. Implantation of Prosthetic hearing bones enabled a 72 year old patient to hear again.
2. CBS News Channel 5 (National)-- Kim Crawford, M.D. Health update- Topic: Canalith Repositioning Procedure for cure of Benign Positional Vertigo. New developments in the treatment of Vertigo. Instant cure for BPPV.
3. News Channel 25 -- Kelly Baker Health update- Topic: Revision Hearing Reconstruction. Hearing reconstruction after previous failures at other institutions.
4. News Channel 25 -- Kelly Baker Health update- Topic: Swimmer’s Ear. Otitis Externa, treatment and prevention.
5. CBS News Channel 5 (National)-- Kim Crawford, M.D. Health update- Topic: Vestibular rehabilitation. Excellent results with the implementation a balance re-training protocol for dizzy and imbalanced patients.
6. CBS News Channel 5 (National)-- Kim Crawford, M.D. Health update- Topic: micro-voltage transcutaneous periauricular electrical stimulation for treatment of Tinnitus. New and investigation protocol for treatment of intractable tinnitus.
7. CBS News Channel 5 -- Kim Crawford, M.D. Health update- Topic: Inner Ear Trauma secondary to High Impact Aerobics. Interviewed regarding the potential damage of High Impact Aerobics. Potential for BPPV.
8. Palm Beach Post 1997 – Cochlear Implantation. Dr. Li performed the 1st Cochlear Implant in Palm Beach County in an 82 year old post-lingually deafened woman. The results were excellent.
9. CBS News Channel 5 – Denise Jackow Medical News- New device implantation – Round Window Microcath
10. Palm Beach Post – Stephanie Artero, Staff Writer New device implantation – Round Window Microcath. Jupiter Hospital 7th site in the world, 1st site in Florida to implant the device. The device is a medication delivery system to the inner ear.
11. Ivanhoe Broadcast News 2745 West Fairbanks Avenue Winter Park, Florida 32789 -- “Transtympanic Steroids For Treatment Of Sudden Hearing Loss” 4/7/2000
12. News Channel 25 -- Multiaxial repositioning device for BPPV. 2001
13. Jupiter Courrier – Susan Fonger, Staff Writer New Device puts a good spin on Bad Balance. Multiaxial repositioning device for BPPV. November 2002
14. WBWP Channel 57 – The Doctor’s Inn Show Produced By Dr. Charles Eaton. New Developments in Otolaryngology. June 21, 2003
15. CBS News Channel 5 – “Ask the Doctor” with New Anchor, Roxanna Stein. Interview re: Hearing Loss, September, 2005
Copyright © 2013 John Li M.D. All Rights Reserved